Church of the Nativity of the Virgin in Vorokhta
It is believed that currently stretching for several kilometers along the Prut Valley settlement originated in the XVII century. as Mikulichyn, located below the river. The name of the Hutsul town of ethnographers tends to derive from the motor deserter of Michael under the nickname of Vorokhta (apparently, something like the more commonly used - greedy), which, hiding from the sovereign's service, became one of the first settlers. According to legend, supposedly the main modern architectural rarity - the Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary - acquired the town thanks to the same, almost mythologized passage Vorokhti, more precisely - his descendants.
History of the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Vorokhta
It is known that by 1780 the local population did not have its own church and was satisfied only with consecration, even in 1602 liturgical chapel. In 1779, decided to marry the great-grandson of the founder of the town Ivan Vorokhta, and as the bride, he chose Evdokia, grandson of Ivan Voronyuk, the founder of the village Yablunitsa Voronenko, located a few kilometers. It was for her dowry that the church was given in 1615, which was transported and mounted in Vorokhta in a respectable place a year later, at a crossroads, on a hill on the right bank of the Prut, serving a cape between the river and the nameless noisy mountain stream.
Architecture of the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Vorokhta
The Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary is considered to be committed by the proportions and architectural forms among the hutsul churches of Kolomyia, Yasinya, Tatariv, Kryvorivna and other places. It is one of the most harmonious and magnificent temples of all Hutsul buildings of this type, despite its small size.
Restoration of the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Vorokhta
In the late 1920s, a new large church was erected in Vorokhta in honor of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul. In 1930 here from the Church of the Nativity of the Virgin moved all the values and the belfry with three bells, and the old church was actually launched. In addition, during the Great Patriotic War, the Hungarians made a stables here. So slowly, the historic church turned into a desert and would probably have perished if it had not been the restoration of the 1970s (architects Bogdan Kindzelsky, Grigory Kruk, Ivan Mohitich). Now the Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Vorokhta is a monument of architecture of national importance and an active temple, which is occupied by the Ivano-Frankivsk diocese of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church. She had a former two-tiered wooden bell tower, which accommodated an unpretentious exhibition of the church museum.
How to get to the church of the Nativity of the Virgin in Vorokhta
From the street Zaliznychne, 30 (Bus number 1 in Ivano-Frankivsk), regular taxis are sent in the direction of the village. Vorokhta (cost to be specified at landing). You can also get to the village. Vorokhta and on your own car.
- Price: free
- Mon-Sun: 8:00 - 18:00